View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #9
weby

Default Re: [Psionic Powers] First time Psi-user questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolta View Post
Ah, thank you for that response! Hmm, looking at some of the potential modifiers for compartmentalized mind, I believe it would be worth it to take that as well as extra attack to really develop a fun, combat based Psi character.

One thing I must mention as well is a vague question, do you (or anyone else who wishes to reply to this) think that a character who is worth a total of 200 points would be able to be an effective user of TK Grab/Universal TK, alongside the advantages of Compartmentalized Mind and Extra Attack, with some points going to more fluff based skills and whatnot?

If so, what sort of level of things like TK Grab or Power Talent (TK) should I reasonably hope to achieve for a character worth 200 points?
A total of 200 points will be bit iffy, as 100 points is not really not enough to build the base character for combat use, you would want at minimum about 150.

Just IQ 14+HT 14+fit+combat reflexes+luck is 155 points, so you would have only 45 points to use, so definitely not enough for enough TK+compartmentalized mind+skills. If it is 200 points+disadvantages, then the points available will make such possible, but see below for note on armors.

Also a problem in most higher TLs is that body armor gets high DRs, so paying character points to penetrate such is usually very expensive (and the TK crush is the only effective TK power if enemies have military type armors). In such setting mind control type and similar powers are definitely more useful.

So if you have the 200 points total I would personally not use TK, at 250 points total it is definitely possible(but without the compartmentalized mind) by using alternate abilities or unified TK, perhaps something like:
TK Crush 10[50] with alternate abilities:
TK Grab 7[10]
TK Bullet 10[10]
Levitation 4[4]
And TK talent 2[10]
For a total of: 145(base)+84(powers)=229, leaving 21 points for other uses like skills(and more TK talent). Note that a lot of IQ based skills will be usable level with just one point, so you can fairly easy also fill another role with those points.

If you have to use 200 points total including disadvantages and want to use TK, then drop fit, lower IQ to 12, drop TK Bullet and buy 2 more TK talent, leaving 16 points for other stuff. Here you will not get any good skills in anything really, so filling other roles is problematic.