View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
Aman

Default Re: Tactical Question: Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I would not let a disengaged figure select the option to disengage. The idea that a nimble foe can always escape a clumsy opponent is a feature, not a bug.
Interesting thought.

However, we have a contradiction of two rule mechanics: IN and Disengage. IN has the intent that the side choosing to move first has an advantage of positioning, maneuvering, and Engaging the opponent. Disengage, however, cancels out losing the IN since you have created an impervious wall of fighters who cannot be fought unless they feel like it - how awesome to have such god-like powers! Imagine, with a measly DX of 10 not even the power of a giant matters; he has to stop when coming adjacent and then you Disengage.

I think you get the point.

If someone wins IN and successfully Engages someone in combat before they have time to run away, than Disengage contradicts the obvious intent of the IN rule mechanic. By failing to win IN, you should open yourself up to some sort of consequence, but you don't. In fact, according to this rule, if I have a dozen warriors all of whom have ONE POINT of DX higher than a dozen opponents [say DX11 to DX10], then one side may NEVER combat the other side, without their consent. And that is just plain broken.

But, I'm not hearing that I have the rule incorrectly, so I'll just solve this with a simple house rule - you have to roll your DX to Disengage successfully, or perhaps...Disengage movement occurs at the end of the Combat Phase. If you don't want to have people attack you, then you should work hard to win IN 100% of the time!
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote