View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Icelander

Default Power: Holy Light

A PC who is both a GURPS Magic style spellcaster and GURPS Power style wielder of various powers has flown into the divine light revealed as the astral shell of a dead god was punctured. As a result, he has gotten religion and a status as some sort of holy champion of Su'en (or Nannaru), the benevolent god of the moon. So far, the main theological themes appear to be the defence of the innocent and the cleansing of wickedness, primarily supernatural evil and curses.

I'm wondering how best to represent a power of being able to call on silver-blue moonlight without casting a spell. It could emenate from a palm, hand, wand, staff or the entire body of the PC and last as long as he chooses, without active concentration. The brightness ought not to be inferior to what he could easily replicate with Light and Darkness College spells for just a few FPs (he has Energy Reserve 70).

The tricky part is that I want worshippers of Su'en (extremely small group, considering that the organised faith has been moribund for two millenia) to see the light at full brightness and beauty, probably getting a bonus to morale and Fright Checks within it. Those whose hearts are pure and souls are pleasing to Su'en (people with Charitable, Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents), Selfless, Sense of Duty and similar Disadvantages, as well as an absence of nasty mental traits) should in game terms get similar lighting effects, if not quite the same feeling of contact with divinity.

Regular people should get half effects and those filled with cruelty or selfishness should see only a dim flicker. Manifestations of supernatural evil, possessed servitors or active and willing agents of it should see no light at all.

What power do I want and do I use Enhancements or Limitations for this effect?