View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
Icelander

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Aquatic Styles: Sahuagin (Shark Men)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
Why would Sumo be contraindicated? I would think that slams are appropriate attacks for swimmers. Certainly if Melville is to be believed it is used by whales. There are videos of orcas slamming sharks too. For that matter videos of great white attacks on seals suggest a slam/throw to stun the seal before biting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Slams are used very effectively by dolphins against sharks so often that many sharks will skedaddle the moment they notice cetaceans in the area.
Though I think they know to slam the sensitive gill slits equating to some kind of Targeted Attack skill.

Whales and sharks tossing/slamming comparatively tiny animals/objects might not work for OP's M.A.
Slams are a very common and effective form of attack underwater, but:

a) Sumo Wrestling includes a lot of other stuff other than slams and a character who will never grapple, shove, sweep or perform Actions After a Grapple might be better off with just Brawling. Especially if a Perk is allowed to grant unarmed slams a Brawling skill-based bonus, analoguous to how Shoves and Tackles works with a weapon skill.

b) For maximum effectiveness, characters who rely on slams want higher HP than the targets and/or a reinforced body part with DR that can absorb the damage that they take when slamming. Sahuagin do not have high DR against crushing damage compared to almost any target they might want to slam.

c) Slams allow for high damage, but unarmed slams are still crushing. For a race with claws* and Sharp Teeth, it's kind of a waste to exchange cutting damage for crushing.

d) I'm specifically statting a style for a smaller, more skilful fighter to use in unarmed duels to the death with other, larger sahuagin.

*I'm kind of on the fence whether these are Sharp Claws, Talons or even cutting Strikers with Reach C. Sahuagin do not seem to be at a disadvantage when fighting foes with knifes armed only with tooth and claw and they use weapons mainly to add reach.