Thread: Volume Effect
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Daigoro

Default Re: Volume Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
I don't see anything in Basic that would lead me to believe the Area Effect enhancement works like Area spells - AFAIK, AE advantages already affect a spherical area. If I'm wrong, I'd still only call it a +0% difference to make it spherical, assuming the effect doesn't "spread" to larger distances when blocked like the old AD&D Fireball spell.
The call-out box on B101 says "area is a circle 2 yds in radius (and 12' high...)". A hemisphere would be 6 feet high.

I'd always presumed a spherical shape, but a conversation at tonight's game brought this point up. The question was whether Swarm (Powers p53) could extend to its 1/2 mile radius vertically into a hemisphere as is, or if Flight was needed to get the vertical movement. We decided that a Swarm defined as flying insects, but without the PC having the Flight advantage, would fill a man-height cloud out to the perimeter, in a jelly donut shape.

Does that make sense?

As the volume of Volume Effect would be greater than an equivalent radius Area Effect, with a greater height, it should be more than a 0% enhancement.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote