View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #85
acrosome

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm pretty sure most _do_ want antigravity and reactionless thrusters and don't want a warp drive as limited as the one seen in 2300.
I dunno. I've seen several references to 2300AD in this thread. And it was operatic but with enough of a veneer of realism to help with suspension of disbelief. Great technobabble about the stutter warp, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you go with Hyperspace or Jump drives one of the major reasons you do it is to avoid the complexity and limitations of a realspace map.
That's why I mentioned that a distance limit would allow a subway map, as opposed to one that accurately depicts physical reality. A system of natural jump routes would be similar.

But I also wanted to comment thusly:

A large part of the debate is coming down to "worked setting" versus "toolkit." And I have to say that I fail to see how GURPS: Space isn't already the latter. It is clearly space-operatic, as opposed to hard scifi, cyberpunk, transhuman, or whatever you want to call the other genres. So this notional boxed set would best be done as a worked setting IMHO.

Also, I'll point out that reactionless thrusters cause more problems than they solve. First, eventually someone is going to approach light speed and the hairy math involved with relativity. Second- but closely related- is that eventually someone will use one to crack a planet.

I hate reactionless thrusters... :P

And anyone on this thread who hasn't already read the Atomic Rockets website in it's entirety needs to do so RIGHT NOW. At the very least you need to know the differences between technobabble, unobtainium, handwavium, and McGuffinite.

Last edited by acrosome; 09-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote