View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #26
vierasmarius

Default Re: Rejiggering Muscle-Powered Weapon Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
I thought Fine Mail's description suggests it is mainly a secondary armour, ie for wearing under something else or for protecting secondary areas. I thought it was "Heavy" (or is it something else... haven't got Low Tech with me) Mail which is described as the standard for Mail armour which is designed as primary protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech pg 107
Made from small links of light wire, this material flows through the fingers like metallic cloth, yet can resist all but the heaviest sword cuts and spear thrusts.
Something to keep in mind is that "resist" may not be the same as "block all damage from." At least for cutting attacks, we have the Edge Protection rules, which draw a clear (if possibly arbitrary) line between an attack which inflicts damage without penetrating, and one which cuts through the armor itself. And for highly flexible armor, it's possible to sustain "sharp" damage even if the material isn't breached. For example, I once sliced my knee open by falling against a sharp piece of metal, but my jeans weren't cut. This would be harder to do with something like chainmail, but could explain why 1 point of impaling damage gets through despite the armor not being breached.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote