View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #189
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Aiming is sort of a prep, you can still make last-minute adjustments and I think a telegraphic dodge bonus only makes sense when opposing an immediate roll.
I disagree. A telegraphic aim should be obvious and only work for hitting a single location. Making the target dodge on the turn of the aim also somewhat broken as a technique for making the other guy waste AP.

Quote:
That said, with the idea "Aim as an Attack" already present, I think someone should be able to use active defenses against an Aim: success meaning they managed to spoil it (remove all accrued aim bonuses) and maybe get other benefits (like aggressive parry or Grabbing Parry against weapon?)

I know that's normally the realm of attacks, but since there's now ways to do instantaneous Aim+Shoot (as a Rapid-Strike) using his On Target rules, having that be balanced by multiple chances to parry them as distinct attacks would be cool.
Aims as attacks does have potential as a mechanic. Especially interesting would be if you could only dodge aims against guns.

Quote:
This whole "I can back up forever until I get some decent aim" challenges realism, which is why I'd like DX rolls to step with penalties when stepping backward (blindness) giving a chance to trip even on level ground, much less uneven.
The problem is that gurps rounds move 1 up to step 1 (and move 11 up to step 2). Staying out of range as long as we're calmly walking towards each other is just fine, and feels realistic even. The break in realism is that green with the injured leg shouldn't be able to back up calmly as fast as red (even if we say something like each step cycle looses a foot of the yard). A secondary issue is that closing the distance more rapidly costs WAY TOO MUCH ap. Did we ever decide if we were using the 2 AP for full move rules?

I personally favor steps being 20% of move, rounded properly. Yes, that's complete and utter house rule, but I think it handles the lower cases better.

Quote:
I would assume all creatures have an inherent "No Nuisance Rolls" allowing them to avoid making DX rolls to take steps outside of combat (everyone should have a crit fail chance to trip in combat though!) so long as their skill is high enough.

Given that you can take Cosmic: No Roll Required on Innate Attack to avoid attacks as nuisance rolls too, some form of that being taken on steps would also make sense. Just not really sure what to base the price on.
If we're looking for rules on footwork, bad footing rules aren't a bad place to start.

Quote:
Your turn!
[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know if we are using the lower AP costs for movement.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote