View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Pursuivant

Default Re: Weakness: Affliction imposed rather than damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I like it, overall! A nice framework. I just have a couple of quibbles.
I'm not happy with it myself, so I was hoping that the Forum's collected brain trust can help me pick it apart so it works right.

Quote:
First, in the initial writeup, you reference a Self-Control roll. I assume this is supposed to be an HT roll, given all the references to HT rolls in the modifiers.
That's a major screw up on my part, in part because I ripped off a lot of stuff from Affliction. The disad should use a Self-Control roll, so it can be independent of attributes, or based on a relevant attribute like Will or HT. Given that Revulsion is supported to be a physical reaction, HT is most appropriate for non-supernatural revulsions, but Will is an equally valid choice for Supernatural problems.

OTOH, because it is supposed to be a physical/supernatural effect, and because Will is half the price of HT, it makes sense to base the disad on HT, and do like you said with modifiers (hard to resist/easy to resist, based on Will, etc.)

Quote:
Second, with the Coma and Heart Attack modifiers, would there be any reason to not take the Revulsion at the highest possible Incapacitation Period?
Also excellent points. Perhaps those Permanent effects should be removed from the disadvantage since they complicate things.

I was going for "generic disad which imposes attribute losses/affliction in the presence of X" but obviously not all aspects of the Affliction advantage can be applied.

Quote:
Third, I think there should be modifiers to make it easier or harder to resist the Revulsion. I'd suggest an "Intense" enhancement, worth +10% per level, that gives -1 to HT to resist per level, and a "Weak" limitation, -20% per level, that gives +1 to HT to resist.
Good idea if I was basing the disad on Will or HT rather than a straight self-control roll.

I'll have to do more math and more hypothetical examples.

As currently designed, a number of "common" exposures are nothing more than quirks if you can recover quickly, can use a mitigator, and don't suffer too many levels of attribute loss.

For example, a dark-adapted species which suffers a -5 attribute penalty in sunlight but recovers instantly once they get out of the light, and can avoid the problem by wearing cloaks and sunglasses, basically gets no disadvantage at all.

For game balance, something like that should be worth about -5 points since you can guarantee that opponents will use that vulnerability to best advantage.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote