View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
zoncxs

Default Re: A 10-pack of DFRPG questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Thanks for the replies to my questions, and my apologies for replying in turn so slowly. To add commentary to a few items:

1) A non-enchanting deal?

I can't say I follow that. Seems to me that $2,000 of Deflect for armor gives a +1 DB (i.e., +1 on any AD) as long as you wear that armor . . . no weapon or shield needed, and the protection is good vs attacks from any direction. $2,000 of Deflect for a shield also gives a +1 DB, though presumably only vs attacks that the shield could block. Meanwhile, $10,000 of Defending Weapon/Shield for a weapon or shield gives a +1 only to Parry or only to Block, and only vs attacks that could be parried or blocked.

As far as I can tell, this is a no-brainer: get Deflect for armor or for shield (though not both), then get Defending Weapon/Shield later if you've got big gold to burn. The latter is definitely less bang for the buck.
DF Adventurers page 118

"[2] Defense Bonus adds to that of any mundane shield. If both shield and armor have Deflect, only the highest magical DB applies. See Defense Bonus (Exploits, p. 47)."

Defense Bonus is useless without a shield. The reason for applying the enchantment to your armor and not on the shield is because it would then work with any shield you wield. It is useful on the shield since that means you don't have to wear the full suit of armor to benefit from the enchantment, and since the enchantment is only beneficial if you are using a shield it makes sense. Applying the enchantment to both is ideal if you got the money to spend, it means, as long as you have a shield, that you will always benefit from it.

But overall, it does look like you get it. It was just that one thing you missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
10) Glamour in Nordlondr Folk

Regarding that roll to pierce Glamour, perhaps we can hear from the author later on how it's intended to work.

About resistance:

Ah, the "+5" is referring to the specific statted creature. (Oddly worded text.) Got it!

Thanks again. I'll have new questions again later – probably in a new thread, for better visibility.
Don't start a new thread! keep all the questions here so that they can all be found easily! Also you could update the first post with all the questions and answers!
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote