View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Moneval

Default Re: Using Sorcery to get Morrowind-like magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I think Sorcery was to get a similar feel by using a system that can mimic certain feels of the magic without being broken like it is in ES games.
Pretty much this. I think Sorcery is already a good portion of the way to achieving a Morrowind feel, but with some better controls in place. Being built off of advantages really helps balance the spells I think. All that it's lacking for me is a way to divide the spells into schools, and have more powerful spells be more difficult to cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
To TC; I actually did something very similar in a campaign a few years back. Instead of straight Sorcery, I picked a trait that represented each magic school in Skyrim (Modified Healing for Restoration for instance) and let magic default off of those. It worked really nicely for what I wanted out of it, but I wouldn't say it lined up with the feel of Skyrim perfectly. Then again, I also expanded the types of spells that could be done in each collage.
Interesting. Did you have other spells as Alternate Abilities? Or was it different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The problem with using Sorcery is that Morrowind spells do not require XP, only skill and money. They would probably be better represented by RPM, with very large energy pools.
I thought about RPM, but I'm reserving that for the slower, more ritualistic type magic in the setting, using the effect-shaping variant. If I could think of a way to allow some spells in RPM to be quick cast and others to be slow-cast only, I might go that route.
I will say though, that I've reviewed the original thread from when Sorcery was announced, and might do something suggested there where RPM is used for improvisation instead of Sorcery. So Sorcery spells would be bought as Alternate Abilities to Magery/Ritual Adept.
The questions on that become, is it acceptable from a gameplay perspective to sum Magery and Ritual Adept for purposes of determining how expensive of an alternate Ability can you buy? And would switching to an alternate ability of Magery change your conditional ritual cap? Thoughts?

As for sorcery itself, if I don't tie it to RPM, what would be the best way to represent different schools, and the relative difficulty of spells?
Moneval is offline   Reply With Quote