View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Using Sorcery to get Morrowind-like magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
But in Morrowind, all you need to learn any skill is to find a suitable trainer and plonk down a sack of money. Sometimes you have to separate game mechanics and what they are intended to represent.
What's odd is how easy it seems to be for the PC in ES games to learn magic. Morrowind you throw money at someone. Skyrim you eat a book. If the intent was to keep a similar feel, then spells could be made as advantages you buy with money (and possibly time) instead of cp.

To TC; I actually did something very similar in a campaign a few years back. Instead of straight Sorcery, I picked a trait that represented each magic school in Skyrim (Modified Healing for Restoration for instance) and let magic default off of those. It worked really nicely for what I wanted out of it, but I wouldn't say it lined up with the feel of Skyrim perfectly. Then again, I also expanded the types of spells that could be done in each collage.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote