View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [HT][TS]Tactics for realistic suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post

Perhaps see also Fairbairn's comments on the Smatchet: it feels like a scary weapon, so its users become more likely to be confident, determined and aggressive.
I just _had_ to go look for pictures.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/97SMATS/Smatchet.aspx

https://www.google.com/search?q=smat...iw=800&bih=475

The data from the Cold Steel blade is a little bigger than the one mentioned in Roger's Wikipedia link. It's practically perfect for a Gurps Long Knife though. 14" blade and a weight of a lb and a half.

Moving away from this interesting digression I can only say that the persons designing and using the Welrod almost certainly didn't have the scientific tools for measuring how close the gun came to being an adequate tool for the mission. Probably the best they could do was to measure how much better it was than the firearms alternatives.

I haven't yet seen any mention of penalties to hearing for being asleep. Waiting until everyone but the sentry is asleep is practically mandatory.

Mostly though you're looking at a trade-off. At least one more Stealth roll to get into knife rather than Gun range and the probably more certain damage of the gun to the head as opposed to the knife to the throat.

If I was GM'ing I'd be looking for a Major Wound to the Neck to equate to a silenced sentry and he still might be able to fight back otherwise in the next round.

Really stopping a man cold with a small blade can be hard. At ST 11 or 12 and a Large Knife you're looking at 1D-1 Imp and a true average of 5 pts when you want 6.

2D-1 to the Skull is a little better. By the RAW even with the P- caliber you're looking at 16 damage after you subtract the (unrealistic) 2 pts for the skull itself. That's "probably fall down and bleed to death" territory if being Harshly Realistic.