View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
hal

Default Re: [HT][TS]Tactics for realistic suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You're mixing two different systems here. I was doing it with High-Tech.

Doing your scenario with Mysteries, on a quick look, starts with the modifiers you list and then adds +20 for a heavy pistol, then takes off Speed/Range table range modifiers. That gives the witness at 5 yards (-2) about +10 to notice a shot being fired, AFAICS.

I venture to suggest that mixing these systems can give weird results, but either by itself says "this is very noticeable."
The only things I would take from Mysteries are those things not present in GURPS HIGH TECH, but should be. Hearing sound through a doorway with the door open, is different than hearing sounds from a doorway with the door closed. Hearing sounds through a house wall is different than hearing sounds through a light or relatively hallow door. Hearing sounds through concrete walls is definitely more difficult than hearing it through a frame house.

In reality, shots fired in an urban environment become more difficult because the sounds reverberate off many surfaces, making it nearly impossible to determine where the shot originated via sound alone (although technology is changing that a bit!).

In all? THe High Tech rules are lacking in areas that should have been addressed in that supplement with a little more detail. Lacking that detail, requires that people take a GOOD HARD LOOK at what is present, and see where they differ or agree. For instance, Jungle is deemed to be a -5 penalty to hearing, heavy vegetation being -1 to -3 in GURPS TACTICAL SHOOTING versus -1 due to light vegetation (grass) to -2 medium vegetation (woods) to -5 in heavy vegetation (Jungle). So, while not identical, they are nearly so -1 to -3 versus -1 to -5.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote