View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Refplace

Default Re: Templates -Breaking the Wall of Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
I am one of those in the minority that looks at the alphabetized list of advantages, disadvantages, and skills and my eyes water. Trying to make sense of what is actually there (one...two...three...no, four weapon skills) is difficult as well as sorting out what happens if I make a change.
What world do you live in?
Seriously, the majority of people find it hard to read and at least one GURPS author uses the term "makes my eyes bleed".

It is absolutely easier to write up an easier to read template than the standard one. The trouble is easier to read directly competes with conciseness and lower word count.
Give every skill and advantage its own line and it is MUCH easier to read, but takes up more of the page and with lots of wasted space.
Filling that space with art, boxes or other layout tricks costs more money.

I am eager to see the change Kromm made for the new templates in the DF box.

For what its worth here is what I do for my own games.
I break things down by major category and list them in alphabetical order or or if its a long list by imporance.

So Stats up top.
Combat: Sword (DX+2) -16 [n]; Knife (DX)-14 [n], etc
Combat Reflexes [15]
Social: Diplomacy (IQ) -12 [n]; Fast Talk (IQ) [n]
Charisma 1 [5[; Rep (good guys +1, Bad guys -1) [n]

Long lists may just list each skill or advantage in narrower sub groups or on their own line.
My Traveler GM lists it all line by line in alphabetical order which is very easy to read but takes up 2 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I Am Not a Programmer, .... (sniped a pretty good parsing explanation for someone who is not a programmer)

Sounds like a heckuva lot of work, and you probably wouldn't be able to share the results without violating SJGames' copyright. Once you have the program/script/whatever that can parse through existing tables, however, that might be shareable. It certainly would be useful to have.
Yeah I bet the script could be shared free of charge with SJG permission.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote