View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #403
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It seems pretty easy to get into crashes on a motorcycle that do 1d+2 cr followed up by one or more 'attacks' of abrasion from contact with the ground for ca 1d(0.2) corr. Crashing your bike in real high-speed chases seems to do upwards of 3d cr and probably a lot of nasty abrasion damage.

In light of these dangers, it seems like DR that protects from crushing and abrasion damage would be a good idea for PCs riding bikes, whether cruisers, racers, dirt bikes or dual-role motorcycles.

High-Tech has TL7 motorcycle helmets, but it doesn't list a complete set of motorcycle armor.

Are modern TL8 motorcycle helmets functionally identical to mid-20th century ones? If not, what changes should be made?

What are typical DR values for other motorcycle protective gear?

According to the Interwebz, ca $6,500 ought to buy you whole body protection like that worn by world-class competitors. That occasionally allows a trained athlete to walk away from crashing at 290+ mph. Even if we assume that this only works in the absence of a direct collision with a hard object, that still seems like the sort of speed to produce a whole fist of damage dice.

Any guesses at how much damage that would do? And how much would be crushing and how much abrasion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
With regards to how much damage is crushing vs how much is abrasive. From my (quite varied now I think about it) experience of bike and quad crashes the division of damage would be almost random at gurps levels of detail. At one end a crush heavy crash would be bike stops suddenly, you hit bike, continue forward on an angle that results in a sudden stop then the bike hits you (23 parts of my body x-rayed after that one only a couple of broken bones though 30kph approx) At the other end, bike flips cleanly, catapulted off, land well, skate on back for many meters (20-30) and walk off (50kph approx). It didn't even put a hole in my vest.

As a general rule, the smoother the terrain the less crushing will be faced. At lower speeds various DX based rolls and skills would be good for converting all the impact energy into rotational energy.

Shock is a factor but not immediately, this isn't associated with the damage taken either.

Edit, maybe look at the knockback rules to do with hitting things while being knocked back.
Edit 2, maybe initial tumble damage then eyeball the speed of the person, halve this each turn, if they hit something then calculate damage as per stopped knockback, and apply abrasive damage for every turn spent traveling?
Ok, the various PCs have opted for protective wear ranging from 'skintight leather or latex bodysuit with stylish full helmet' to 'jeans, jacket and leather MC cut, with discreet knee pads and elbow protection under the clothes, and a half-helmet', to the supremely idiotic 'track suit... what do you mean helmet?'.

What kind of damage exposure are we looking at for a 30 mph crash in rough, rocky terrain? And how much is crushing, which requires impact-resistant protective wear, and how much abrasion/road rash, which seems almost like corrosion damage in effect, but rarely penetrates any thickness of DR (until the protective gear is ruined, at least)?

And what about a 50 mph crash on a road? I'm pretty sure someone is going to wipe out in a high speed car chase. No idea who'll be chasing whom, but hoping that O'Toole is the one who crashes.

And if Special Agent Rubio jumps off* her Guzzi Moto racer at 100 mph, what kind of damage is that going to do? And how much of it is going to be stopped by her very light, ultra-tight bodysuit?

*I don't know, maybe she's avoiding an RPG aimed at it.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-12-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote