View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
Sindri

Default Re: Cumulative Parry Penalty Reduction House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
The reason for this is not a bone thrown to players with greatswords but a reflection of the material we read when we researched the book. Several weapons - and their use in two hands - were called out as especially good defensively. That's something Basic Set didn't reflect. That optional rule aims to fix it.

So it's not just the weapon but the usage, hence why it's not a change to, say, a Thrusting Greatsword, but to Two-Handed Sword skill.

FWIW I use it in my games, and it's fine. You give up a lot to get it, not having a shield.
Oh I don't think it is a bone thrown to players with greatsword. I've always believed MA about it's claim that the rule was to represent the claims of Masters of Defense and I apologize if my post came across as claiming that it was in fact just a balance adjustment. Nonetheless it can end up feeling that way despite me knowing it's not true.

Certainly there are going to be usage differences between one handed and two handed use but personally I'd prefer to estimate them as smaller than this if you have the Strength necessary to have it perform otherwise mostly the same.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote