View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #14
swordtart

Default Re: Shipping in a Traveller Universe

I only used a 200 ton jump-1 ship and like you put together an easy-peasy spreadsheet for each traveller trade system for the same simple sector.

I only hopped to each adjacent system and sometimes had to run at a loss in order to buy on a poor planet. In some cases I shipped cargo when I couldn't find any goods worth buying to trade with the next rich planet, I am not sure what those cargoes were supposed to be (maybe locals got better deals than off-worlders).

I also ensured I had 10 high/middle berth and 20 low berth available. I rarely had trouble filling the high/middle berths, but somehow rarely got a full complement of low passengers on the poor planet where you expect them to be desperate to escape. Given you only got 1000 for 1 dTon of cargo and 1000 (less consumables) each for 2 low berth for the same space I was toying with putting low passengers in cryo-coffins and stacking them as cargo at a reduced rate. People desperate enough to go low wouldn't mind.

I also considered putting into a passenger lounge and just slipping them fast drug with their first drink. They could pass the majority of the journey wandering round at the "welcome meal" and we could just slip them a simple general anaesthetic "in preparation for hypersleep" with an antidote to fast at the same time and then let them revive a few minutes later having "arrived". I am sure that you could easily fit people in very little space (e.g passenger couches) if it was only for a "few hours". This might also be a legal way to move criminals in some jurisdictions. The automatic damage is offset by the elimination of the re-sus shock.

And always, always hire the best broker you can. Only if you max the dice roll will it not be a benefit (and in that case you are quids in anyway).

Last edited by swordtart; 01-08-2019 at 03:19 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote