View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #26
JLV

Default Re: Suggested Stretch Goals from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Flat counters feel very "TFT" to me, and I could never get enough. A bestiary with a counter for every entry would be awesome, with multiples where it makes sense (rats, wolves, tuskadillos, etc.)
Oooh! I SO second this motion! In fact, we're back to the point where I would cheerfully incorporate my soul and give 40% of the stock to SJG if you do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Re flat counters:

I agree that flat counters are very TFT.

Another bonus to these:

If the counters are flat, and if the hexes they're designed for are 1" hexes, and if they'll be available for separate purchase (not just as part of the Kickstarter)...

...they'll be a new product not just for TFT players but also GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game players.

Both of those games demonstrate combat in their rulebooks using flat figures, including multi-hex, top-down animal/monster figures, just like old-fashioned TFT. Yet SJG only sells stand-up Cardboard Heroes figures for GURPS, and even includes the same with Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. That's no real problem where 1-hex figures are concerned, but for big monsters and animals, the games' stand-up figures don't map to the diagrams shown in the books. Sure, GMs can make do, but the mismatch between the games' flat counters and the provided stand-up counters is an oddity.

So, the suggestion in a nutshell: Use flat 1" hex-scale counters for TFT, and make the counters available as a standalone product. Poof, SJG gains a product that it can also offer to GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game players who want to use the sort of counters that their books actually describe.

Any merit in that? Drawbacks?
What tbone said -- I LOVE the idea of dual use items like this -- not only because it gets me more counters and maps for TFT, but because it both makes it more likely SJG will do something like this, and also because it expands the possibilities for DF and GURPS in general...

Last edited by JLV; 07-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote