View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #23
Sindri

Default Re: Ideal Number of Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
The problem with Quirks (and Perks) is that their low cost involves an increased risk of the being overlooked. I clearly halve that tendency, but I'm sure many others have a similar albeit less strong tendency.
I think that's rarely true. Whether a trait is remembered depends on the number of other traits, how much of a divergence it represents from the player's natural playing style, whether it comes up enough to develop a habit of remembering it and whether it is advantageous and thus subject to "bonus hunting".

I find it difficult to grok the mindset of a player that looks at a trait and decides it is low importance to remember because of it's low point value. In fact point values are not generally thought about by players in my experience. It may be brought to their attention if they aren't often benefitting from a high cost ability but "I put 50 points in this, so I better remember it" is... weird. High cost traits often overlap with traits central to the character concept but otherwise it seems like the difference in attention trying to capture a +10 bonus is very slight compared to capturing a +1 bonus.

GMs are a sort of different story since they might reasonably focus their efforts on high value traits since they should come up more often or otherwise be more significant but the likelihood of them going to far in the other direction seems low.

Low cost traits mean more traits which does increase the chance of them being overlooked. That's not much of an issue for advantageous traits since they have an intrinsic push to being remembered but it could be an issue for disadvantageous ones. On the other hand a 150 point character can already have 15 seperate disadvantageous traits even if they stick to 5 point value ones and at higher point values it gets even greater.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote