View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 03:01 AM   #45
zot

Default Re: Using an Illusion's Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Maybe it's because we play in a world setting, outdoors, in buildings etc, and almost never in 'tunnels', that this works fine/better for us. Wall and Shadow are almost never used, maybe because we are in larger spaces, forests, river crossings, on board ship etc. I can totally see your point above for dungeon crawls. I hope you can see mine? A world where the lowest wizard can be the perfect spy would be a catastrophic change for us.

I don't feel I'm making a house rule any more than you are to be honest.

I think SJ must have known it wasn't consistent because he says as much in ITL somewhere...
It seems to me that the Scout spell ex explicitly made for exactly that purpose. Not as small as a mosquito but both bats and rats are very quiet and small mammals.

I don't usually do dungeon crawls, actually though, I'm just trying to clarify the rules from the perspective of having played TFT from 1977 (when Melee came out) to 1986, which is when all these issues came up for our group.

These days I usually play my own RPG which is a collaborative RPG (players trade off narration during sessions) which is heavily influenced by Blood Red Sands and Fate (it has aspects, stunts, and mantles from Fate / FAE).

I have run recent games in TFT though and in both games I have absolutely no problem with wizards who can use Illusion, Image, or Scout because my stories don't hinge on whether a character can see behind a door. They tend to depend a lot more on social interaction and information that's not so easily discovered. And when the characters discover information, it's a great thing because it's part of the story.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote