View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #87
Phantasm

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I generally detest FTL communications/sensors. I prefer to have my PCs depend on news brought by courier spacecraft. Of course, I also like having it that strong AI cannot survive FTL travel, so FTL travel depends on living creatures (AI plagues are restricted to STL travel).
I also have a dislike for FTL communications and sensors. In my own space opera setting, FTL drives operate off a hyperdrive model, with specialized exploration/S&R/SWACS spacecraft for long-range sensors. FTL radio does exist, but is nowhere near as fast as the slowest courier ships out there; at most, it'll eliminate communications lag in a star system, but a message from, say, Earth to Alpha Centauri will still take several weeks (a courier could make the trip in a matter of hours taking it easy, or minutes if he's in a rush and doesn't mind suffering a bout of hyperspace compression sickness).

I can somewhat justify FTL radios using my setting's "advanced" physics and the "hyperspace onion" model I'm using, but I can't really justify Star Trek-esque realtime FTL sensors.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-21-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote