View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Methariel

Default Re: How to avoid broadcasting Choir/Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Two words: Don't Push.

[much helpful advice]
I'll second that. If you don't want your players to catch on an NPCs Choir or Band, subtlety is the key.

As might be misdirections - not by the GM himself, but in-character. I once sprang an Impudite - of Dark Humor - on them, that was neither suave nor well-dressed. He was rather rough, but apparently fun to hang around with for his - entirely mundane - acquaintances.

In the end, the players settled for him to be either just an irksome mundane or a not too-devoted-to-the-cause Infernal Soldier. One of them wondered for a few moments if he was a weak, but surprisingly social Djinn.

Had they investigated a little more thoroughly, they'd found out that he was fun to hang around with because he made people laugh often. And if they had followed that clue further, they'd found out that they laughed about his silly jokes and pranks. Being rough people themselves, his acquaintances found nothing wrong with some jokes meaning actual bodily harm to other people. (The mutilating "jokes" he did secretly, of course.) That might have given them an inkling to what he really was.

So, they just wondered why he panicked when three of them - whom he knew to be angels - wanted information from him and why he attacked and fought like a literal devil to escape when it appeared they had cornered him. He even managed to do that.

But then the Cherub of War found him.

In hindsight, it might not have been that big a misdirection. But still, it was sufficient.

M.