View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #18
Bruno

Default Re: [Dungeons][DM only]My first experience in DFRPG/"I smell a Rat"

Playing with miniatures, I've found that I haven't had to "introduce" facing, at least as a basic concept; people seem to like pointing their mini "the right way". The DFRPG movement and facing rules are simple enough that people setting their facing intuitively seem to end up doing it right anyways.

I'll mention things like Deceptive Attack and hit location in passing, but what I do to actually introduce them is to bring in enemies where using those options is a great tactic against them, give them a turn to learn the foes are tricky some how, and then suggest them as a way to get a leg up. I don't recommend starting with enemies using them against player characters, as this can lead to players feeling like you were "hiding" things from them to get an advantage over them.

It's also easier for people to remember the thing if it came with "And then I was awesome!" I don't mind if they don't really learn it better than "that thing I did to hit those swashbuckling goblins" (or w/e) for the first while; all I need them to do is remember that it's a thing and keep trying to use it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote