View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
Dalin

Default Re: [Dungeons][DM only]My first experience in DFRPG/"I smell a Rat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I cut down the number of combat options in the start of my previous (short) GURPS campaign, and gradually introduced what I cut out. I never reached the point to adding facing, but we had much tactical fun. That is why I was comfortable in cutting down combat options in this game.

Cutting down on combat options is also recommended in How to be a GURPS GM, and facing is a option listed under "Most Options, Slowest Play, Greatest Detail".
I always cut down on these options for beginners, too. I usually play with casual gamers or total beginners (some children, some adults). If I start listing too many maneuvers with facing changes, movement costs, attack and defense penalties, etc., their eyes glaze over pretty quickly. It's the difference between the folks who, when they discover that they can target a foe's eyes, say "eww" rather than "cool!"

I start with broad strokes—basic attack, defense, and movement—and add layers as interest develops. Sometimes I'll introduce new complexity through their opponents' tactics or simply respond to questions: Can I charge at someone and attack?, Can I try to disarm them?, Can I aim at the doorway and shoot any orcs who come through?

If a player were to cry foul because I was nerfing their tactical niche, then I'd certainly reintroduce whatever elements they wanted. I've even run games where tactical complexity was calibrated differently for different players in the same battle.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote