View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
RobW

Default Re: Non-missile Weapons / Engaged Status / Defending

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT View Post
Again, a request for point of clarification. When engaged, can you attack with a Thrown Weapon? "(j) attack with any non-missile weapon." If in this case "non-missile" means to exclude everything that isn't a true "missile" weapon, then it would appear that someone throwing a dagger can do so when engaged by a foe wielding a mace.

Further to this, if the dagger-thrower in the scenario throws at the mace wielder while they're engaged, does the mace-wielder Dodge or Defend? It seems a bit much to permit throwing weapons while engaged, whilst denying the foe the chance to dodge because he's engaged.

And thirdly on this, page 117 of ITL spells out specifically that Dodging only works against missile spells, and thrown and missile weapons. But the rules for Defending do not explicitly rule out defending against a thrown weapon attack. "Defending is effective only against non-missile physical attacks." Furthermore, the GM Screen states "(k) Defend" against "thrown weapons or regular 'melee' attacks."

When engaged by the mace wielder above, if you find his adjDX of 5 makes him not of much concern, you may not Dodge against his friend's heavy crossbow bolt, but it appears you may at least Defend against his other friend's flying dagger.
I think you have it exactly right. I also view thrown weapons as non-missile melee attacks. Meaning engaged and disengaged figures can throw attack with thrown weapons, and that targets can defend (as well as dodge) against them

I appreciate you quoting the rules here, as I didn't realise they so specifically and consistently identify "non-missile" attacks in the defend and attacking options.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote