View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [AtE] The benign AI as a plot device

The secretive stranger coming from parts unknown that turns out to really be an X is a staple of post apoc fiction. Though I suppose a C3PO isn't going to be able to hide his artificial nature very well.

A major resource in any AtE scenario is information. And realistic let alone fictional computers may have vast databases. Simply transferring info from his storage medium to whatever survivors have scrounged or cobbled together may work.

What it may be searching for could be as straight forward as a rare part.
The entire movie Cherry 2000 begins with the protagonist wanting to find an out of date model to put his sex-bot's CPU in. (It's a Melanie Griffith movie rated PG-13, so not quite as salacious as that description implies.)

EMPs in fiction are extremely effective. But it's not like any plausible humanoid robot would be totally impervious to more conventional weapons. I suppose it depends on how small you make EMP devices that could take out an A.I. A difference in level of paranoia between maybe that burnt out building contains danger and maybe that guy's pocket...