View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Dalillama

Default Re: Transmogrification (RPM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Because most animal templates are 0 or less. For spells that add traits above your racial template then you need to add Altered Traits. See Sylph Form (same page) for a RAW example of that.
Right, or Verdant Growth or Wallwalker. But in the section on costs, it notes that adding disadvantages is 1 energy per -5 points of point value. So I would expect that turning someone into an animal that has a -71 point template, would add 15 energy, as Altered Traits:Weasel Template or whatever.
Quote:
Put another way, transforming a stone statue into a living breathing version of itself requires a Greater Transform Matter + Greater Transform Body + Greater Create Mind (and that's RAW), but requires no Altered Traits. You almost never use Altered Traits unless it's adding a ability that's under the control of the subject, not the caster. In this case, the subject cannot change shapes back and forth, therefore you don't need Altered Traits.
In that case, why are there rules for Altered Traits adding disadvantages at all?
Quote:
That's going to be up to the GM, but really, I wouldn't bother with it in most instances. If you're going to do that kind of point accounting don't forget to add Social Stigma, lack of Wealth, etc. that normally comes with being a animal. Let's face it, being stuck as a animal is going to suck for most people. You're going to end up in a zoo which is effectively prison or killed if you are turned into a really dangerous animal.
The templates in Animalia have most of those included via the Wild Animal and Domestic Animal metatraits. And yes, it sucks a lot to be turned into most kinds of animals; that's why turning someone into a frog is a classic curse, and a powerful one. It seems odd to me that it costs the same amount of energy as turning someone into say, a dog, which sucks but allows considerably to be accomplished while you are one.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote