View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #24
JCurwen3

Default Re: Bell Curve on 1D6 [math]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
yes, 3.5 is the average value. I choose 4 because it means every damage step increases damage taken by 1 point with no .5 steps and it make the math cleaner. It increases the damage, but not by much,

What I said above. I use the 2d for all damage. if the table says 5d, its an average 20 damage, multiplied by (2d-2)*.2. 3d is 12*(2d-2)*.2.

If you want everything to be a 3d shaped curve (for when damage should be more consistent) take the average damage and multiply it by (3d *.1). That will increase the damage by a little bit, but if that effects your HP-Damage-DR balance, you're walking a tightrope as it is and the change in the curve shape will hurt you as much as the increase in damage.
Thanks! Using the 2d formula, you can end up with 0 damage though (if you roll snake eyes), but maybe that doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

What would you use to get results on 4d, 5d, or 6d curves? I'm considering a house rule to make damage for higher skill level fighters increasingly consistent.