View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Random Goblin

Default Re: Interviewing the Fans #1

TFT/Melee/Wizard was my introduction to roleplaying games. As a matter of fact, I don't even remember the first time I played, but I have vague memories of seeing my dad (David Deitrick) along with Jim Christensen and others, sitting around the kitchen table, playing Melee. I remember asking my dad to run games for me, and we mostly just played around with his 25mm fantasy miniatures on his hexmaps.

But the first time it really clicked was probably in 1987 or so, when I would have been in third grade and we were living in Alaska--my dad ran a scenario for me, and I don't remember the details but I do remember an inked dungeon room hexmap and stairs and an ogre (I still have the miniature), and we definitely used Melee. Shortly after that he let me play a Star Trek adventure with his super-elaborate 3D hexmap deckplans and custom movie-era Trek miniatures using Melee as a rules base (it was his go-to for everything), and after that I was completely hooked. I read Melee and Wizard and then used them (or variations of them) to stat up and play games with my growing collection of castoff lead 25mm minis for the entire rest of my nerdy childhood.

I transitioned to other games later on when I got a little older, but my childhood was definitely marked by obsession with Melee and Wizard, and they have a deep, special place in my heart. I'm looking forward to picking up the new releases and playing the with my own kids.

-Conrad Deitrick