View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Prince Charon

Default Re: Katalysator-1 worldline

I keep wanting to reply to this and being tired, so if this is lacking detail and/or coherency, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
Cool setting! I like alt-history.
Thank you.

Quote:
Some suggestions for expansion:

Consider what PC parties might originate within this world. I can imagine all sorts of adventures taking place in this world that don't require the story to be about alternative worlds.
Apart from crazier-than-usual superheroes (which are an option, but not a necessity, depending on the GM), any sort of party appropriate to late 1970s Earth could work, but you could also have a party of astronauts exploring Mars and Venus, or a party of Martian or Venusian natives brought to Earth and learning about this strange new world.

One problem that it occurs to me that the players and GM might have, is accurately playing a party of loons without driving each other crazy in RL.

Quote:
Say more about how daily life differs from our world.
Well, it's the 1970s, so that's already quite different: no internet, just a primitive ARPAnet with transistorized computers instead of microchips (I considered having them still using vacuum tubes, but couldn't make it that plausible to myself) - no home computers, here (not that there were all that many at this point, anyway); no cellphones, although cars with radio-phones are around if you're rich, and telepathic communication devices are also around.

Really, the widespread existence of psi-tech is going to make things quite different from either our 2017, or our 1977 - if you can afford a flying car, there's little reason not to buy one, because they're practical and fairly safe when piloted by someone competent - what they aren't is cheap, so most people still get around the same way they did in our 1977.

Psi-tech Mind Shield generators are common and somewhat cheap, because early high demand lead to manufacturers trying many ways to undercut the competition. Mind Block and Expert Skill (Psionics) are commonly taught in school, sometimes even before High School. Mental Strength, Autohypnosis, and Meditation are probably all available in school, and anyone planning to take the catalyst, or who has psi abilities through exposure to active psis (e.g. one or both parents) is probably encouraged or required to take them.

RadioShack predates the point of divergence, and you can get some examples of psi-tech there. Psi-based entertainment systems may be an option, though data storage is fairly primitive (you can have video tape without microchips, but the VCR would be a bit bigger, I think).

Psi drugs of various types are available, even a few over the counter, but the catalyst itself would require a prescription (though there most likely is a political movement to make it freely available to all, in small enough doses to be safe; most doctors and many politicians would find that objectionable, though not all for the same reasons).

A greater interest in having competent mental health professionals might or might not have much effect on daily life, but having fairly large numbers of crazy people with super powers would.

Quote:
Say more about the political divisions between everyday people in the West (or on Earth).
Hmm. Would the catalyst have butterflied away the Southern Strategy? Not sure.

Quote:
Can you say more about how religion has coped with psi?
It probably varies widely by faith, and not being terribly religious myself, I'm somewhat vague on who would have what opinions. Certainly, psi is so useful that there would be some pressure not to denounce it as the tools of the Devil, but the number of psis who are obviously nuts would tend to encourage that viewpoint. Likewise, there's going to be cults that worship psi in general, or certain psis in particular, and some of these groups may be common illegal manufacturers of the catalyst and other psi drugs.

Quote:
Write up an introductory paragraph for people who are new to the setting, just surprising the setting and what's different and special about it.
I'll try to remember to get back to this one, but it's something I keep drawing a blank on, each of the times I've looked at your post. Sorry.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 05-31-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote