View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #1157
wolf90

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I was happy to see Car Wars 6th is on the agenda to get some love this year, but those bits about Ogre stung. I wasn't expecting it to be the top of the sellers chart, but with all the energy around here I also didn't expect most of the line to be down in 'Single run and done' territory either.

Hopefully Battlefields can be paired with the flagging Reinforcements to become a "6E to GEV Conversion Kit" of sorts, and gives it a nice shot in the arm that way.

As the guy from Asmodee wrote in his interview...the market is really weird right now, facing a glut of new product and feast-or-famine receptions to the same. Can't take anything for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalfailure View Post
That brings me to the subject nearest to my heart, Ogre. I was not surprised, but disappointed, to see so little representation in the top 40, and the fate of Reinforcements. It was expected, though. Not long after release, I saw online places trying to sell it off for $7-$10 :( At least the Kickstarters went well enough that hopefully we can expect some support down the road in the form of an occasional Kickstarter for new material. Not ideal, but way better than nothing.
This is frustrating for me as well. Ogre is a passion for me, as it is for many of us. The issue is we don't seem to be connecting with the next generation. The current market certainly plays a role, and with the immense quantity of options flooding the market, both good and bad, it is difficult to attract and maintain the interest of a new player.

Which brings us to Kickstarter. It is serving as an effective medium (at least, so far!) for getting Ogre material out to our dedicated fans in a manner that can be both profitable to us as well as responsive to you. But it is not generating new players, cursing Ogre to live on the "one-and-done" periphery.

I've said this before and will keep saying it until they pry my Mark V from my cold, dead fingers . . . we (the players) are the sole emissaries of the game. I still believe the game sells itself if we can get people to sit down and play it. Perhaps I'm naive, but it is a great game.

Also, we (SJGames) need feedback on the releases. Feedback serves two beneficial purposes: first, it allows us to gauge what's working and what isn't - what you like and what you don't. It does not help anyone for us to produce material that no one wants. Second, it creates "buzz" about the game. A perfect example is Ogrezine - I believe this to be a well-received supplement that has already been viewed as a win by those who backed the KS, and we haven't even sent you the final product (which you're gonna love!). BUT . . . almost no one is talking about it on our, or BGG's, forums. Without the chatter, others who did not participate in the KS have no clue as to what they're missing. I want to produce a second issue - am I alone in that desire?

So yes, we have more coming your way. Battlefields is nearing completion and Nightfall is moving back into my focus. But we . . . I . . . need your support and advocation. I've a number of ideas that I'm pitching but they are easier to sell as potentially productive concepts if the support for the current material is strong. Long live Ogre!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote