View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Huscurian

Default Re: [Science] The Hard Science of Low Gravity versus High Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The Basic Set already covers jumping, read it. What you're asking about landing I can't decypher.

Gravity will have basically no effect on melee strikes.

Realistically, people aren't normally flung by being hit. GURPS has unrealistic knockback rules under which it's more likely. I'm not sure if those scale with gravity, but it would be relatively easy to do so if you wanted to. (For a horizontal launch range scales with the inverse square root of gravity). Falling already scales with gravity.
I'll check the section for jumping.

So no effect on melee strike OK, perhaps that would have to be a cinematic effect of being knocked back as if they're paper.

Then I am going to lean toward heavier gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered
Vehicles are tuned to work ideally in the gravity they are currently in. I suspect changing the gravity away from optimal will change the performance of the machine for the worse, be the change greater or less than optimal gravity. These changes are probably minimal until you get to the x1.5 or x.5 range.
I don't know about vehicles being ideally tuned to work with low or high gravity worlds but I'm pretty sure that I could work around it by justifying that those tanks, vehicles, and others are simply a part of the world, former remnant of the "Earth That Was".

So I would daresay that no effect would be put on those vehicles except being hit by weapons, etc.

Another question though. On low or high gravity, would the reaction time and the length of halting a vehicle determined by speed be longer or shorter? I would suspect that on high gravity worlds, the stopping power of the vehicles would be longer dependent on the speed and mass of the vehicle while on low gravity, it can depend on the loss of handling, mobility that could lengthen the reaction time and stopping a vehicle to a complete halt. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Huscurian is offline   Reply With Quote