View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Icelander

Default Re: Skill for laying low in an urban area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Most real people in such situations might very well either lack Common Sense, or have applicable disadvantages, so I don't see how you can draw that conclusion from the fact that many fail.
If anyone cares enough to look, anyone without skills or connections will eventually be found.

Even with no one actively looking, most people who do not turn up for court dates sre 'found' extremely easily, because it's rare for anyone to have the skills and resources to survive without using electronic banking, IDs and help from a lot of people they know.

From what I can tell, surviving without papers is somewhat easier in the US than in Northern Europe. Here, at least, the immigrants and refugees I deal with have essentially zero chance to do anything without having the basics of what everyone has in modern society, i.e, ID and bank account.

There are places that pay their workers illegally in cash and I suspect that some of those could arrange for housing, but these are vanishingly rare. Most of the ones that cheat on taxes just report fewer hours and pay the difference in cash. Everybody still needs ID and bank accounts to be employed or stay anywhere, unless they actually have a fairly good Streetwise skill or Contacts in organized crime.

Quote:
Regarding needing to use a credit card because you have no other way to obtain money, that is a different matter from carelessly using it. You can take a calculated risk and for example withdraw a large amount of cash early on in the chase in a location you plan on leaving immediately afterwards. Such things do carry risk, and some skills might help with mitigating them, but just not doing it unless you have to doesn't really require skill.
You have to. Most people don't have enough cash to survive for the rest of their lives stashed somewhere. Those who do are generally professional criminals or have the skills rewuired for other reasons.
Quote:
It happens that people get homeless on short notice. I have seen presumably homeless people begging for money in clothes that wouldn't look out of place on non-homeless people. I also very much doubt that all of them have died unless they had special training beforehand (also even a small amount of cash at hand could make being homeless much easier for some time).
Failing a roll against default Urban Survival doesn't mean instant death. It means lacking a few FPs from lack of sleep, lack of shelter or lack of food. Failng consitently will make you sick. OTOH, a lot of places will have government assistence, charities or, if death is near, staggering into an ER. For a fugitive, it's not that easy.
Quote:
Most people have a good idea about how to travel and eat on a budget in a far wider area than the locations which they can reasonably be said to frequent.
I don't know how to find a place to stay in Denmark, Finland, Norway or Sweden that doesn't require a credit card or some other form of ID. Do you know how to do that in Iceland?
Quote:
Blending into a population of strangers might be a skilled activity in a small town, but there are plenty of places where you would have to act or dress very spectacularly to stand out.
From working as a conscierge for a season, in Iceland, one of the things that will get you noticed is not having a credit card or passport while trying to find a place to stay. That gets you classed as 'probably trying to rob the place and/or a drug addict'.