View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #22
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: PC Races of Middle Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Not sure how to model it. Resistant... Rare? I'm not sure about the +3 or +8 level.
I'd actually make it full-on Immunity - remember, Dwarves were completely immune to being dominated, even by effects like the Rings of Power. That's why the Seven Rings never turned their bearers into wraiths or made them servants of Sauron. That's why he tried to reclaim them, since they weren't doing what he hoped. Anyway, Mind Control is typically a Common hazard, so "Domination", as a subset, seems fair as a Rare one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth
I think my first draft of the elf templates were all over 100 points. I feel like if we take everything that's truly Elven, we'll wind up with any starting Elf character as being nothing more than Elf.
It's definitely a problem I'm familiar with, yeah. I've run into it before when doing my own Tolkien GURPS conversion. That said, I think we're just going to have to accept that Noldor are just a higher point-value template than other characters. I'd aim for 50 points for High Elves, and 25-30 points for Sindar. Other elves are less impressive, but still positive-value templates.

I think those are good numbers to shoot for in terms of LoTR-style games, where I'd peg the main characters at 200-300 points (the hobbits are questionable, though I'd probably give them a fair amount of "plot-focused" advantages like Luck, Serendipity, Destiny, and so on, to make up for lack of obvious advantages and skills.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote