View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #76
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The longer I look at boxing, the more I am convinced that the lack of a good defense again kicks is a mistake. Gurps has long maintained that karate is not just Karate, that judo is not just Judo, and that the stuff you learn is likely as not to be an art or sport form anyways. That logic should probably be extended to boxing.
Or sumo?

Quote:
Even if it can't kick (or can only kick without damage bonus) combat boxing should include defenses against low blows.
Well it does, just at -2, or relying on dodging. Boxers' training in dodging was reflected as a form of 1 Enhanced Dodge per 8 points, that's not present in 4e so you'd probably buy Enhanced Dodge (~Thrust Only -40% Requires Boxing roll -10%) to reflect that

This is not to say that I want to switch over to allowing it now, if only because I'm invested in this fight and I want to win, and I'm curious how this paradigm works out.

Quote:
And 11 seconds until the pain kicks in. Though I'm not sure how game changing that will be.
Not much, since I probably will just choose not to throw kicks to avoid the penalty. Maybe I should try some while I can? Kicking at D12-2=10 is about that same as punching at Boxing 14 -4 for off hand... so really the only reason not to do punch+kick during a DWA is the possibility of falling down on a miss...

Come to think of it, the +1 to hit the leg makes me a more accurate kicker in that situation. The -2 to hit the leg is a better option since I either force you to take a -2 for lowline parries or use your inferior dodge, as you've been doing with me.

And If you don't understand what your enemy is doing, that's when you should be the most afraid. (coincidentally, that's why fighting newbies can be so scary!)

Quote:
Rolled a 9. The dice love it when I rest. 7 AP. I continue to do nothing!
I got a 6 against a 15, MoS9 means +2 bonus so I'm up to 7 AP too.

On the off chance I managed a 3 (MoS 12) I could gain 5 AP, bringing me up to 12. I'll choose another Do Nothing on the off chance that happens. Make your roll!
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote