View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #44
DreadDomain

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Yea, I didn't add that either. The Netflix version doesn't really do that (and with cancellation won't ever get to that point).
This version was not necessarily based on the Netflix version but more on my perception of what Daredevil is. It might be dated because it is still coloured by the comic books while John Romita Sr was still drawing the book mixed with what we have seen in Netflix. That's why I still see him with a Code of Honor (Hero) and even more importantly, swinging.

Quote:
It occurs to me that I forgot to add Daredevil [15] to Daredevil. Catfall is probably a nice touch as well. I added Fit to help recover fatigue. I toyed with Perfect Balance. Isn't TBAM [40]?
I believe I ended cutting Fit to give him a higher level of HT. Might need to revisit that. And yes, TBAM is 30.

Quote:
You made him ambidextrous. Why does he need offhand training?
I was flip floping between the two and ended up with both :). Opinion on which one should stay?

Quote:
I intentionally skipped MA to reduce the number of supplements necessary. It's a great book with lots of crunch, but between Basic, Powers, Supers, and a few Power-Ups I already had too much source material.
I actually was writing him in a bit of a vacuum in a sense that I didn't have a clear view on a campaign and what source material would be included or not. In GURPS these decisions really need to be made up front because they will greatly influence your built. In this case, I believe I was somewhat leaning towards Basic + Powers for senses + Martial Arts (case in point, I even had a bunch of maneuvers at some point which I ended up cutting for simplicity). I passively did not consider Wildcards or Imbuement or KYOS.

Was I to seriously consider a Super campaign, I would have a different approach. I would implement KYOS for ST, damage, HP, DR and I would have an eye towards reducing many fine grain options, like reducing the skill list to maybe no more than 100 and/or heavily using WC! I would ignore many Perks and would vey carefully consider to reduce Martial Arts to a minimum (maybe except for hardcore martial artists). I would also think about making some enhancements (like variable for innate attack) automatic/free instead of having every energy blaster having to include it.

There is a lot of these decisions to be made for a GURPS Super game and while I tried many times, I almost always ended up picking HERO from the bookshelf and run with it. But I very much like the idea of a GURPS Super campaign.

Quote:
Not allowing source based neutralize/static in your setting? Overall this looks pretty good... I missed vibration sense and I suspect that parabolic hearing is a bit low (this version would treat 8 ft away the same as 1 ft, which seems low for hearing whispers a room away through barriers).
What do you mean by not allowing source based neutralize/static in your setting? Good point for Parabolic Hearing!

Quote:
I'd cut a bit here. Blindness, sure. Code, mmmm, not sure. Flashbacks, not randomly under stress. Guilt, mostly from being a catholic (quirk). Light sleeper means he'll be low on fatigue. Obession seems to overlap with SoD. Would he do one without the other? Charitable seems to overlap with SoD, doesn't he primarily help out those Hell's Kitchen (not all over NY). He's not really selfless either, he has lots of other motivations from the prior -200 points in disads.
I agree the number of disadvantages is a bit too much and should be consolidated. Which will hurt my total cost ;)!

Quote:
A good list, more reflective of an experienced DD. I'd still wildcard quite a few of those into one focus for simplicity.
Agreed, I did not have a clear vision on how to use WC to be honest.

Quote:
At those levels, they would be the focus of the campaign, which doesn't work well if you have lots of PCs with similar setups. I suspect that 75% of the time he isn't babysitting either Foggy or Karen, so I'd go 6- for the dependents... or perhaps make it one roll for either at 6-. That doesn't mean they aren't around more often. It just means that 9% he had to drop everything to focus on their problems relative to the 38% with one 9-. Other times he interacts with them as NPCs/friends. If he needs them as allies the ally number can be higher than the dependent #.
Good points!
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote