View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #13
coronatiger

Default Re: Campaign Log: Chaotic Pioneering

Session 2 (continued):

Thoughts on May 23rd

Magnar was a bit quieter when he woke Olivia and me for our watch. We got up on the roof, and while nothing happened in the village, we decided that we’d go to bed earlier tonight, since we’d had too little sleep two nights in a row, and it had started taking a toll.

Lady Karita took us aside after breakfast, saying she was most displeased. Even though we had tried to keep it quiet, we had made it impossible for her to fall asleep last night. So, we had to go to bed even earlier tonight.

Kine went to talk to the drunkard, who had hopefully sobered up by now. She didn’t seem to get anything useful out of him though.
Then our two searchers, K&K, goes to look for clues in the forest, planning to spend the day making a circle around the village.

The rest of us went to talk to some of the villagers. First, we saw the family of the other boy who had been found in the pond, not learning much. After a short interview with the elderly couple, who didn’t seem to have a clue about anything that was going on in the village, especially the husband, we went to talk to the dwarves. It wasn’t too comfortable, standing there smiling while they had a lengthy conversation with Magnar in Dwarvish. After a while, they switched languages, and the rest of us got to hear that the dwarves had observed two women from the neighboring house going into the forest some months ago. While it’s somewhat suspicious, it doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the murders.

When K&K returned, having wasted the day not finding anything, we all agreed that the next step should be to search some of the houses. Lord Fidel noted that if we were seen rummaging through a house, others might try to dispose of evidence they had hidden away themselves. We spent some time coming up with a strategy, which consisted of searching the houses that we were the most suspicious of first, hoping to have searched the important places before the villagers caught on to what we were doing.

Olivia and I went to bed early.

Thoughts on May 24th

We didn’t see anything on our watch, and neither did Kine and Magnar, but at some time during the night, another boy had disappeared from the boy house. The boys had discovered in the morning that the door was unbarred, but one of them remembered to bar it last night. A search of the house turned up clues that the disappearing boy had dressed up and combed his hair before leaving, leading us to believe that the criminal must be a woman.

While K&K and Lord Fidel remained in the village to play cat burglars (Kine would be the cat and Lady Karita the burglar), the rest of us took all the able-bodied villagers into the forest to search for the missing boy. We didn’t find anything out there, but we gave Kine and Lady Karita ample time to go through a few of the houses.

They didn’t find any clues that obviously had to do with the murders, but two identical scrolls were found in secret places in the house of the drunkard and in the house where the two women who had been seen going into the woods by the dwarves lived. The scrolls were titled The Great Chaos, and were philosophical thoughts criticizing the wisdom of colonizing the new world. I don’t know much about these things, but according to Lord Fidel, possession of the scrolls bordered on treason. Kine copied the text hurriedly with the aid of Lady Karita, before they returned the scroll to its hiding place. The second scroll had been identified as identical to the first one during the search, and had been left in place. Magnar, who has some experience, wanted to search the text for any hidden meaning or message.

Kine hasn’t quite been herself the last few days, and today I realized what was going on by the way she was looking at Lord Fidel, who I’ll admit is pleasing to the eye. Kine is in heat! With Olivia’s acquiescence, I took Kine aside and asked if there was anything I could do to help her getting through it. My talent for spotting preferences had told me that while both Lady Karita and Magnar were as straight as nails, Kine might be open to experimentation. After some sequestered time with Kine, I let the other women know it was safe to enter the bedroom, and while Kine climbed up on the roof to take the first watch, the rest of us went to bed.

Here endeth the session.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote