View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
Sindri

Default Re: Rapid Fire Houserules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable Wyvern View Post
My only problem with the rapid fire rules is the fact that every round that hits will strike the targeted location. Which, as the OP points out, can become quite ridiculous if you're aiming for an eye.

Fortunately, I am planning to use a slightly modified version of the variant hit location rules found at http://rpglair.weebly.com/hit-locations.html, which lend themselves to a solution.

The first round hits based on the MoS. The second round hits based on MoS - Rcl. The third round hits based on MoS - (Rclx2). Etc..

So, if your weapon is Rcl 2, you're firing at least three rounds and you hit with a MoS 5 while aiming at the head, the first round hits face, skull or neck, the second round (treated as MoS 3) is randomised between face, skull and neck, and the third round (treated as MoS 1) hits an entirely random location.

It's not perfect, because in the example above you could feasibly hit face, face, foot, but the chances of doing so are fairly slim and I still think that's a preferable result to eye, eye, eye.
Your hit location thing is cool. Consider it stolen for my games. How do you handle the targeted attack technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I posted a bullet dispersion overlay somewhere on the forums. I will try and fimd it.

Another variant on usingg the Speed/range progression is by percentage. So if you make a roll by 10-12 you hit with 100% of shots fired. Or go uo 1 increment as a % of shots fired, etc. tjat takes care of miniguns.

Tjird rule: just make Rapid Fire progression double each time. 2-3 shots is +1, 4-7 is +2, 8-15 is +3, etc.

Rapid Strike is the way to go. Aim and Brace apply to both attacks, as does detrrmined.
Looking forward to the overlay!

Yeah you can mitigate the penalty but it still seems too high when choosing targets takes the same penalty as getting more attacks and choosing targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
As a fairly simple kludge for the "I sprayed a ton of bullets at it and only one hit" problem, I divide ROF by 10, minimum one, discard fractions, and that's the number of bullets that hit per Rcl increment.

Shooting full-auto at hit-locations hasn't come up for me yet, but I think I'd rule that all other shots hit the torso, just for ease of play.
What about shooting at less than full auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
I was contemplating fractional Rcl numbers to allow for multiple hits per point of MoS. This would require re-statting weapons though, unless you made it situational (I.e. Braced beam weapons, stabilized vehicle mounts, etc.).

Are we going for mostly personal combat, or the vehicle issues?

Finally, the 10% of RoF hitting per MoS is probably the most likely direction I'd be willing to go for a balance of playability and "realism." I put that in quotes because I don't think that achieving more hits per burst is ever going to be realistic--there's a very good reason no trained military teaches spray 'n pray!
Both personal and vehicles. Mostly personal for hit locations. Otherwise mostly vehicles or vehicle sized things. The fractional Rcl makes sense given the precedence of Very Rapid Fire.

Trained militaries do what works best in their situations with the weapons they have. The rules can be more generous to rapid fire without encouraging unrealistic tactics.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote