Thread: Tank magazines
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
43Supporter

Default Re: Tank magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I forgot about the M10 and M18. I think I saw an R Lee Eremy History doc on those. He said something like the difference between a tank and non-tank that looked like and essentially was a tank but was called a different name (which I forget), was that the tank was designed to fight in support of infantry. Where the other vehicle was specifically designed to fight and kill enemy tanks.
The term for "AFV for killing tanks" was "tank destroyer" -- here's a good beginning reference work: _The Tank Killers: A History of America's World War II Tank Destroyer Force Paperback_, Harry Yeide. Available inexpensively on most book-seller sites.

Quote:
FMC's design had a unique armor system in that the whole interior was essentially component armor. If you his the engine, or the fuel tank, or one of the magazines, the component armor diverted the explosion upwards.
Cellular Ammunition Storage Magazine (CASM), but for the whole vehicle -- could make an interesting rules addendum to the existing product in _CW_.

Quote:
But I've often wondered how useful the Sherman was in Europe. On that note I've often wondered how useful the Japanese minitanks were in the Philippines. I wonder what a Car Wars Tank design of those guys would look like.
One aspect of tank combat in Europe which most games overlook: German tanks were painfully prone to breakdown, due to overloading issues (suspension, engine, and transmission designed for 40-ton tank; now what happens when the tank's weight is increased to *50* tons...). There's some more-recent WW2 games which include this -- for ex.: If the German tank goes off-road, there's a chance it will be immobilized due to broken suspension, or bogging. Couple that to German lack-of-supply, meaning tanks often went into combat with low fuel, and/or limited ammo; and it becomes a little more apparent why we're having these sorts of conversations in English rather than German.... >:)

Japanese mini-tanks were only useful if the other side had *no* armor whatsoever; I think there's a couple instances of Japanese "tanks" being defeated by US Engineer units with bulldozers, but I'd have to go digging.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote