View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
hal

Default Re: [Magic] Staffs And Enchanting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

Kromm has specifically allowed it.
Something worth mentioning here...

There is KROMM, and then there is the man behind the moniker who runs his own campaign world as a GM.

If you're after a RAW (Rules As Written) answer, that's one thing. If you're after a "would I let this into my campaign" answer, then be aware they're two different beasts. Case in point - it was once asked if it would be permissible to ignore shaped using area spells where, for example, a two hex radius area spell of 7 hexes, could be cast instead, as a single line of 7 hexes. KROMM the person said yes, but if you asked him in capacity as a RAW mediator, he'd have to say no.

Case in point with that initial yes? A target hex 8 hexes away, for a single hex radius casting, would suffer a -7 spell casting range penalty, a RAW 2 hex radius spell would be -6 to cast (assuming no staff being used to extend the spell caster's personal range), but allowing the use of an equal number of hexes of effect for a single lane of 7 hexes, would suffer only a -1 penalty per the RAW rule that range penalties are calculated from nearest point of effect from caster to edge of area spell's beginning effect.

So, to quote KROMM as allowing something, you need to keep in mind context. Is the answer a RAW answer, or a KROMM THE MAN answer, or even... KROMM the Dungeon Fantasy line editor.

Also note: in the initial original writing of POWERSTONE as a spell, the size of the powerstone in carats, limited how large the powerstone capacity could be. In the 4e rules, one could instead, expend 4x the normal enchantment energy cost, and bypass the need for a gem at all. In theory? One can simply take a wooden 6' stave, cast STAFF on it, then enchant it as a single powerstone. NOT a RAW circumstance for say, GURPS CLASSIC MAGIC.

Note too, that there tends to be the understanding that GURPS GMs can rule their campaign worlds as they see fit, hence the distinction between RAW answers and anything else... ;)

Last edited by hal; 05-18-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: I hate autocorrect!
hal is online now   Reply With Quote