View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #14
mhd

Default Re: New GURPS Hardcore Battle system (fan made)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
While some of the historical combat manuals do make distinctions in attack times, they're usually based on what type of movement you're making.
And you can make plenty of different movements with each and every weapon.
While I might be faster doing stabbity-stab-stab against a static pole with an icepick than with a spear, things look different when I try to feint at the face, than stab the thigh, hold two people at bay etc.

Apart from treating things holistically (within a turn or even over several ones), you'd also have to define what rule terms really are. The old "what is a parry really" debate...

And then there's the matter of granularity. The Last Gasp has the same issue. While it might be more exhausting to swing an axe than a dagger, is it really twice as exhausting? So you either increase the range (double digits enough?), or you treat the differences as rounding errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
But also in my experience with HEMA most 1v1 fights tend to be over within 1-6 blows, usually within about .5-15 seconds.
Olympic fencing is fast, too. But in both cases, the risks of dying are pretty minute, which tends to skew things slightly...
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote