View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Computer Operation/Programming/Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Ok, here's a challenge for you. The operating manual for the torpedo tubes used in WWII US submarines is on the web. My GM did not find it before he gave up looking. I did. Can you?
What's your case for that being a Computer Use feat rather than a Research feat? Research is certainly the governing skill roll for such searches.

I would say that you need to be able to use a computer to do TL8 research (Though you can still do TL7 research in many archives). Computer Operation has the usual issue that these days the computer operation side of such tasks is made mindbogglingly trivial by user-friendly design.

I would argue that having a default for Computer Operation should suffice to learn TL8 Research, at least in the latter stages of TL8. If you have no default or for some other reason cannot operate computers at all, you're out of luck. EDIT: And you might have some difficulty if you can attempt such rolls, but are bad enough at them that a +10 TDM nuisance roll has a significant chance to fail.

EDIT2: I think I found it.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 11-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote