View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Mr_Sandman

Default [Supers] Mixing power levels and scales

A supers game that I planned years ago, but never got off the ground had the concept that after years of heroes having low-level powers (Doc Savage, the Shadow, etc.), suddenly teenagers were expressing true superpowers. I was giving players the option of choosing which they wanted to be. They could play an older generation of hero, who had a lower point value, but could spend those points on high skills, contacts, status, reputation, etc., as well as a few lower point value powers. Or they could play a young super, who had higher point values, but could only spend a very limited amount on mundane advantages, skills, etc., and would instead have one or more high point value powers.

I recently realized that the power scales from Supers could be used to a similar effect. If the older heroes were limited to I-scale powers, and younger characters could pay a UB to get access to D-scale powers, it would leave the youngsters with considerably fewer points to spend on non-super power traits. They would be considerably more potent in a fight, but less well-rounded in most other situations.

Has anyone ever run or played in a GURPS game with large point value, or power scale differences? How did it work out?
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote