View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #37
ak_aramis

Default Re: Post apocalypse alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
I suspect fermenting apple-water as opposed to barley-water would make huge differences in flavor profiles - at least it should, to my thinking. But I have no real experience along that line of experimentation, so IDK, maybe all the talk online about baker's yeast producing bad beer is just folks thinking that it shouldn't work & there's no real evidence that it doesn't actually work well. The meme just keeps propagating & no one ever experiments with it. Maybe one day I'll actually try that and see what happens.
Having used the same ingredients changing only the yeast, the yeast does make a significant difference in the overall flavor profile. Enough that a buddy who also brews was able to tell which I had used by taste alone.

He uses a particular wine yeast that, while not bad, leaves a bitter note that the champagne yeast I prefered does not.

Also, the water used can make a big difference - the mineral content of the water is important.

When you add more ingredients, those interact with the mineral content and yeast, as well...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote