View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
whswhs

Default Re: Disads: the Second Best CP Deal in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I am entirely in agreement. I has seemed plain to me since I first encountered Champions that disad caps are a concession that the rewards games pay for taking disadvantages are greater than the burden of the disadvantages. I suppose that the reason for it in Champions is that the designers wanted to make the PCs come out like comic-book superheroes. James Bond 007, which doesn't need to use disads to balance in features of characters who are very different from a healthy man of mainstream culture and military age, is much less generous with them.
Back in the day, I accepted a friend's offer to run a Champions campaign. He specified 100 point base and up to 150 points in disads. I built characters for myself and C, both of which were around 100 points in disads. He had a terrible time running games for us, and I think he was totally flummoxed that we hadn't gone all the way to the limit. But really, neither of us could think of disads past the first 100 points that fit our character concepts.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote