View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
RevBob

Default Re: A Couple Clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that this is helping me resolve this issue, as I'm getting two layers of feedback that seem to contradict one another. StormCrow42 said earlier that there is no "stack" mechanism, and thus each card must be fully resolved before continuing. On the other hand, you say that there's no "stack" mechanism, but insist that each player needs to have a chance to "react" to what is done.
There is no contradiction; they are two different models. Your logical error is in attempting to apply the Combat model (an extended series of events, card plays, and interactions) to the basic Card Play model (one distinct event and its consequences).

Combat is explained in detail in the rules, and explicitly says that you have to allow your opponents a reasonable time to "react" (that is, do something like playing a card or throwing a one-shot) before you can declare that you've won the combat. Playing a card has no such rule; you put the card down, do what it says, and it's done. No stack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza
If a potion has been put into play,
Pause here for a moment. "Put (an Item) into play" means exactly one thing in Munchkin: the playing of an Item card from one's hand to the table. When I say that I "put the Singing and Dancing Sword into play," that means that I have taken the S&DS card out of my hand and put it onto the table in front of me, where it becomes an Item that I am both carrying and using (since it has no Hand requirements or anything else that prevents its use), and which is "in play." What you're talking about is taking a potion that is in play and "activating" it, aka "throwing it into the combat." That involves taking the card from in front of you and putting it into the part of the table where the combat is happening. This may sound pedantic, and I mean no offense by it, but it's important as we "unpause" and continue with your question:

Quote:
I can no longer get rid of it with a curse because it's not on the player's board (if it's in play and not in the hand, of course); I can react to it by adding one of my own potions to the monster, but I can't "curse" the item because it's already left the player board and this is not a "reaction."
Given the clarification above - yes, this is correct.

Quote:
This just begs the question again: If I'm going to use a potion from my player board, why would I ever say out loud, "Hm, maybe I should use this potion"?
Excellent question; I almost never announce such plays. I just pick up the card and put it into the combat. As a courtesy, I'll say what I'm doing as I'm doing it or just afterward, but that's just so everyone doesn't have to crane their necks and read the card's effects for themselves.

ETA: As a direct answer, deterrent is about the only reason for such a deliberate "maybe I should use this card" announcement. It can encourage someone to offer you an incentive NOT to use it...but that can also backfire. Tricky tactic. Another reason is if, say, the player in combat is up by six points and you have a +3 potion on the table. You wouldn't want to waste your card, but if someone else has a +5 that they can throw in, you two might want to discuss your options. Neither card would turn the tables individually, but if you remind the other players of your card, it could spur them to act. (And then, if you're a fiend, you can NOT throw your potion in, causing them to sacrifice a card in vain. This is likely to cause strife, especially if you struck a deal and are trying to back out of it after he fulfills his part of it; in a tournament setting, you would be expected to complete the deal. However, if you never actually made the promise... Again, tricky tactic. Use with caution.)

Quote:
One-shot items can be played from the hand to affect play immediately, but one-shot items played from the player board also affect play immediately! Sorry, but I need a much, much more concrete example illustrated to me if this is going to make any sense.
You seem to have a decent grasp of the situation, just a bit muddled by multiple definitions (and thus uses) of the word "play." Hopefully my clarification above will help it click for you.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.

Last edited by RevBob; 05-10-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fiendish plots.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote