View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
whswhs

Default Re: Invoking Limitations

Super is intended to imitate the way things work in the comics. For example, during the Justice League's trial run, close to 60 years ago, five of the members—Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern, the Martian Manhunter, and Wonder Woman—experienced momentary shutdowns of their powers. (Fortunately, Aquaman wasn't hundreds of fathoms under water!) It turned out that there was a criminal scientist, Professor Ivo, who had constructed an android, Amazo, as a controllable vehicle for superpowers, and he needed to use some sort of ray to tap their abilities and confer them on Amazo. Now, this made no sense, because Aquaman's and the Martian Manhunter's abilities were racial traits—they weren't modified humans—and Wonder Woman's were, well, Divine, and Green Lantern's came from a device. But to the comics writers they were all "super" and could be nullified, or swapped around, or stolen by a device.

So you can either look at the devices in Psi-Tech for doing those things with psi, and adapt them to work with super; or do Neutralize or Static or maybe an Affliction with Gadget modifiers, and figure out what level of invention you want it to be. Either way it's going to be kind of handwavy.

Or you can not use Super. I wrote a Pyramid article a while back that presented a timeline with over a dozen power modifiers for "supers" of different sorts; I think it's Pyramid #102. In some ways that's more comic-booky, in that supers don't all have the same origin or power source.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 01-18-2019 at 01:14 PM.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote