View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Rasna

Default Re: Adding sub-locations for forearms, thighs and shins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
It definitely doesn't have that connotation in English, which is probably what's producing the confusion here. In English, something is "ulterior" if it's concealed or hidden (so, "ulterior motives", which describes someone having reasons to do something besides what they say or are obvious). I'd say that's its most common usage by far. It can be used for something that will take place in the future, or for things that lie outside a defined boundary, but it definitely doesn't mean just "additional".
My fault. Unfortunately a different language means a different "way" of thinking, and this kind of misunderstanding sometimes happen even between Italians from different regions. For example, in Tuscany, but not in the rest of Italy, "dell'altro" (literally "of other", "other's") in some contexts can mean "ancora" ("more", "yet") or "pił / non pił" ("anymore"). If I say to an Italian from Milan, Rome or Naples "Non voglio ascoltarti dell'altro" ("I don't want to listen to you anymore"), he would probably answer: "Di chi?!?" ("Of who?!?").
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote