View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #35
KarlKost

Default Re: [Spoilers?] Blue and Orange Morality: Adapting the Faerie Courts

Hi everybody, sorry for going a little necromantic here, but I love the Fae, and I'm also a huge fan of both GURPS (the best) and WoD (mostly the old), so, is any of you familiar with Changelling the Lost, from the Chronicles of Darkness? (the new World of Darkness)

I loved that game, and in my opinion it made an awesome job at creating alienish beings with total alien behavior that aren't just flat evil (like demons) or simply bestial (like the famous movie Alien).

In a very short resume, you could say that the True Fae from this game are like cosmical forces connected to Fate, and they take their nourishment from Tales - they MUST pit themselves against one another in order to exist. Without struggle, they simply cease to be. But not just physical fight - they need to create LEGENDS. In order to do so, they kidnap humans, and enslave them, twisting their captivities slowly in their Realms, until they are humans no longer.

And they thrive on their otherwordly tortures of their slaves. Because, when a slave rebels and flee from captivity, new legends are born.

To keep those, the SAME Fae can HELP and HINDER the SAME changelling (those former slaves, no longer humans, twisted by their unnatural time under their alien Masters). In one tale, a True Fae may show as your "Guardian Fae", turning the huge pumpkim into a beautiful White Porshe 3.0, but in the other moment, that same Fae curses you to sleep until a Prince losses you softly.

Those Fae fight amongst themselves an arcane immortals game, with likewise arcane rules, and without any human's morals; two True Fae will sort of "bet", for example, on the actions of a mortal or a changelling; for example "If I make him despise his true love and murder her, I Win, but if he does not, we both lose, but if he kills Her while still loving her, you will".

After that bet, both fairies will go take their places on the tale; basically, they take masks to Interact with the protagonists (the poor mortals). Each Fae can assume only a limited amount of forms:

- One Avatar - The Fae can show itself like the Gandalf old-wise, the seductive succubus, the huge giant, the Dragon, the fragile Princess, whatever
- One Object - The One Ring, the sword Excalibur, the Nibelungen's ring, Alladim's Lamp, whatever
- One "Horde" - a multitude of creatures, they are a legion, hard to kill and tough things, however, they are not as powerful as the Avatar, and neither can the horde hoast the bulk of the Fae's conscious toughts. The Hosts of Heaven, the Legions of Hell, the swarm of Aliens
- One Realm - The Fae is also an entire Realm, where all laws abide to its personality. The Fae, however, can't change the Law of Hospitality - anyone that enters the Realm must have a way of unlocking its mysteries and reaching its goals (the Fae can't simply make the Realm into a Black Hole that destroys anyone who enters it, althouth it can make the Realm into a wild hell, filled with Sphinx-Demons ready to destroy anyone unable to solve its mysteries). All those Realms have some connection and coherence with the purposes of the tales, and therefore, there must be a way to solve it (the Fae could make the guests arive in the Moon, but they would be able to breath there, and a magical boat would show to carry them to the Castle of the Lord of the Land where the kidnapped Princess is being held).
Realms would be like the world of Alice and such

Fae are constantly struggling in those immortal games (they must, otherwise they cease to be). When a Fae defeat another in a game, it devours one of it's Titles (the Names of the Fae are their essences). For example, the Dragon Fafnir, that may be one of the Avatars of one True Fae. If another devours this Title, it will gain both the name and the new actor (it can Now call itself "X Fae of ZYW Titles, and also, the mighty Dragon Fafnir - and, it will be able to impersonate the Mighty dragon on any future Tale).

What I like about those, is that they are good for Angels, Demons, Fae, Spirits and even UFOs... When a swarm of Greys take you for their spaceships to make unholy things to you, it may be the swarm aspect of one True Fae...
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote